I wanted to make a cream filled cookie and wanted to use a chocolate cookie. I tried two recipes form Maida Heatter’s Cookie book. I made what she calls, Marjorie Kinnan Rawling’s Chocolate Cookies and Chocolate Street Cookies.
Chocolate Street Cookies
1/4 cup unsifted flour
1/4 tsp. Baking powder
1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
1/8 tsp. Salt
8 oz. Semisweet chocolate
1 tbsp. Unsalted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
2 1/2 oz. Walnuts, finely chopped
- adjust oven rack into thirds. Preheat oven to 350*. Line cookie sheets with parchment.
- Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon & salt and set aside
- Break up the chocolate and place in a double boiler. Add the butter, and place over moderate heat. Stir until smooth. Remove from hot water and cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the eggs at high speed until light in color. Gradually add the sugar and beat for 4-5 minutes until almost white in color.
- Add the cooled chocolate and then the sifted ingredients. Stir in the nuts.
- Use a small ice cream scooper and place them 1 1/2” apart on prepared sheets. This is a gooey dough.
- bake 12 minutes reversing the sheets and top to bottom. When done, the cookies will be cracked and will feel semi firm. Let cool and transfer to racks to cool.
Magnolia’s Vanilla Butter cream Icing
1 cup unsalted butter, room temp.
8 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla
The Urban Baker / SusanSalzman.com