I am astonished and proud at how many of my friends are in the process of publishing or have published cookbooks over the past few years. Lucy’s book made me want to travel the country, Todd and Diane’s photographs in this book made me want to be a better photographer, and Helene’s book forced me to look at light in a whole new way.
When Heather asked me if I would be interested in checking out her new book, Generous Table, my answer was an exuberant, YES. Heather and I have been reading each other’s blog for years and witnessing the birth of her new “baby” was a wonderful journey to watch her go on. After drooling over her recipes, it was a toss up as to what I was going to make first. It was between the Chocolate Caramel Mousse, Blackberry Jalapeno Margarita, and this caramel sauce.
Anyone who knows me, knows that caramel “anything” is my drug of choice. On the dessert menu it is the dessert with the word caramel in it that I gravitate toward and a Sees Scotch-Mallow is all I really need to take me to that happy place.
With some homemade ice cream in the freezer and a batch of freshly made dark chocolate almond bark, caramel sauce seemed like the perfect accessory. And the perfect accessory it was, especially with that little bit of a tequila kick!
Heather’s book is filled with stories, rich recipes, and super easy entertaining ideas. I am so in love with this book that I want one of my readers to have a copy of this timeless treasure in their home library. It’s easy to enter and only takes a few minutes.
How to Enter
You have until Sunday, May 4th, 12 midnight PST to enter this giveaway. The Winner will be chosen via random.org and will have 2 days to respond or a new winner will be selected. U.S.A. residents only.
You can enter multiple times by leaving a separate comment for each of the following steps listed below:
• tell me your favorite ice cream accessory.
• go to Heather’s Facebook page and like her page.
• go to The Urban Baker’s facebook page and like me!
• tweet about this giveaway. make up one of your own or tweet this sample message: pls RT @theurbanbaker has a copy of @heatherchristo new #cookbook #giveaway http://su.pr/2VjfKF• follow @susansalzman on Twitter
• follow Heather on Twitter
• follow my pin boards on Pinterest
• follow @susansalzman on Instagram
• sign up for my RSS feeds and receive my blog posts each week
• Stumble this post and follow me (and see who I follow) @theurbanbaker on StumbleUpon.
Tequila Caramel Sauce
1 cup organic, raw sugar
1/4 cup tequila
1/2 cup heavy cream, room temperature
pinch of Celtic sea salt
1 batch of vanilla ice cream (I had this in the freezer sans the cookies)
chopped nuts or homemade almond bark (optional)
• in a small saucepan, melt the sugar over medium heat. I stay close to the sugar as it can burn easily. when it turns an amber color(after about 5 minutes), whisk in the tequila and salt.
• whisk in the cream. the sugar will harden a bit, but with a bit of whisking, it will become a smooth, silky sauce.
• transfer the caramel to a heat proof jar (I like these or these) and let come to room temperature.
• serve immediately over ice cream or your favorite apple crisp and then store in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
yield: 1 1/2 quarts
The Urban Baker / SusanSalzman.com