Last month I made the chocolate caramel slice bars from donna hay magazine. What a disaster. I did everything that was asked of me, hence it wasn’t enough. The caramel filling didn’t set and the parchment paper that lined the baking dish was one big sloppy mess ( didn’t stop my friend Kate from eating around the edges, licking her fingers – oohing and awwing the whole time ).
I have decided to give her bars another go around. I opted to go with something somewhat safe. She has a recipe for rhubarb crumble slice. I didn’t have any rhubarb on hand, but I did have strawberries. So instead, I made strawberry crumble bars.
They were well received. Thank goodness! I do not do well with kitchen disasters. I take it all very, very personal. I needed these to be a winner! And they were.
Strawberry Crumble Bars
1/3 (75g) caster sugar
1 1/2 (225g) cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 tsp. baking powder, sifted
1 egg, lightly beaten
100g unsalted butter, melted
450g strawberries, hulled + chopped
3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (225g) all-purpose flour, sifted
1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
150g cold butter, chopped
• preheat oven to 350*. lightly grease an 9 x 12″ baking dish. line with parchment paper and butter the paper.
for the shortbread crust:
• place the sugar, flour, baking powder, egg and butter in a bowl and mix to combine.
• press into your prepared pan. bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and firm.
• toss the strawberries, sugar, and vanilla. set aside
for the topping:
• place the flour, sugar and butter in a large bowl and mix to combine. the mixture should resemble coarse bread crumbs.
• spoon the strawberries over the cooked base and top with the crumble topping.
• bake 35-40 minutes or until golden. cut into 2″ squares! dust with a little confectioner’s sugar!
The Urban Baker / SusanSalzman.com