In my car, I generally listen to Martha Stewart Living Radio on Sirius. Religiously, I listen to Jennifer Hutt on Just Jenny Radio – I love her! If you drive by my house between 2:00 and 4:00 p.m. on any given weekday, you may see me sitting in my car, in my driveway, laughing out loud. Thanks to Sirius radio, Jenn and I have become friends, not only is she hysterically funny and brilliantly smart, and even though she talks for a living, she is a great listener and a valuable friend.
I also like the morning shows. At the beginning of summer, I was listening to Fany Gerson talk about her heritage, her culture and how she started creating and selling Paletas and Aqua Fresca’s at local farmer’s markets in NYC. I liked her energy and I was engaged. When I got home, I immediately ran to my computer and googled her. I wrote her an email and told her that I had just listened to her on the radio and I was putting her new book, Paletas, on my wish list.
Through several emails, she offered to send me a book. I was overcome with joy. When the book arrived, I tore open the packaging and starting earmarking my pages. Over the last two months, I made the paletas de fresa(strawberry ice pops), paletas de coco rapidas (quick coconut ice pops), and the paletas de chocolate (chocolate ice pops). Unfortunately, they disappeared before I could photograph them.
I just made a batch of Paletas de yogurt con moras(yogurt ice pops with berries). As you can see from my recent posts, I am loading up the freezer with easy to prepare breakfast and after school, healthy snacks. The combination of greek yogurt and fresh, organic berries not only gives the kids a healthy, nutritionally balanced snack, but it makes them feel as though they are getting a decadent treat. I would have loved to have come home to a paleta when I was in grade school.
Fany was so gracious and appreciative of my email that she offeres to giveaway a copy of her book, Paletas. To win a copy of this beautifully written and photographed book, do any or all of the suggestions below.
Yogurt Ice Pops with Blueberry Pure
1 1/2 cups plain, greek yogurt
2 Tbsp. honey
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 lemon, peeled
1/2 cup blueberries
• put the water and sugar in a small, heavy duty pot. bring to a boil, and stir until sugar is dissolved. simmer for 5 minutes.
• peel the lemon and put the peel into the simple syrup(the water sugar mixutre). let steep for 5 minutes.
• strain the lemon sugar and place in the fridge until completely cool.
• while the lemon sugar is cooling, combine the yogurt and honey in a mini food chopper and pulse 10 times. set aside.
• to make the blueberry puree, in a small, heavy duty pan, combine the blueberries with 2 tablespoons of water and bring to a boil. when the blueberries start to pop, remove from the heat. let cool.
• when cool, puree in a mini chopper.
• strain lemon peels from simple syrup. add to yogurt mixture.
• fill small cups or molds 1/3 of the way with yogurt mixture. put in freezer for about 45 minutes.
• remove and pour a few tablespoons of the blueberry mixture on top of the semi frozen yogurt. swirl slightly with a skewer. let freeze for 20 minutes.
• top the semi frozen pops with the rest of the yogurt mixture, filling almost to the top of the cup. freeze completely, about 3 hours.
• unmold and store in an airtight container or eat right away!
The Urban Baker / SusanSalzman.com
How to Enter
You have until Monday, September 12th, 12 midnight PST to enter this giveaway. The Winner will be chosen via random.organd will have 2 days to respond or a new winner will be selected. U.S.A. residents only.
You can enter multiple times by leaving a separate comment for each of the following steps listed below:
• tell me what your favorite frozen treat is….or what you would make if you had this book.
• go to Fany’s facebook page and become her friend.
• go to The Urban Baker’s facebook page and become my friend
• tweet about this giveaway. make up one of your own or tweet this sample message: pls RT @theurbanbaker has a copy of @Fany Gerson’s Paletas #giveaway. Fresh fruit pops, a great after school snack http://is.gd/W2pZqV
• follow @therubanbaker on Twitter
• follow Fany Gerson on Twitter
• sugn up for my RSS feeds and receive my blog posts each week
• Stumble this post and follow me (and see who I follow) @theurbanbaker on StumbleUpon.