The lemons on my meyer lemon tree are blooming. I am so excited! I love seeing the lemons on my tree come to life. This can only mean one thing; lots and lots of lemon zest and lemon juice, neatly packaged and stored in the freezer. The perfect ingredient for almost any dish – savory or sweet!
Today is the day that I start making doughs for all my holiday baking. Each year I try to add to my repertoire and this year is not exception. I found this recipe for Christine’s Lemon Wreath Cookies in the December issue of Martha Stewart. I always like to include a lemon cookie in my holiday packages and this one seemed perfect. I liked the shape, a lot, and I liked that it was a simple butter type dough.
I made the dough and rolled each cookie out and placed on parchment sheets. I then froze them. Once they were set, I put them in a sealed container and will bake them off on the official baking day (this year it will be, Sunday, December 13th). I will probably have about 8-9 different kinds of cookies and bars to bake that day. Generally, some of my friends pop by, help bake and sample all the goodies.
These are a keeper. Actually, these could very well win the best holiday cookie for 2009! Super delicious!
Christines Lemon Wreath Cookies
for the cookies
3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
2/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. + 1tsp. grated lemon zest
8 oz.(2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
3 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
for the glaze:
3 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
7-8 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
* preheat oven to 350*
• combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
• pulse sugar and zest in your Cuisinart, until combined.
• add butter to a standing mixture and add the sugar/zest mixture and blend.
• add eggs, one at a time, mixing well.
• add vanilla and lemon juice.
• reduce speed to low and add flour mixture. mix just until combined.
• on a lightly floured surface, roll dough into 4″ ropes with about 1 tablespoon of dough.
• transfer wreaths to a parchment lined baking sheet, spacing 2″ apart.
• bake 18 minutes or until golden on the bottom.
• transfer to a wire rack to cool.
• make the glaze; whisk confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
• dip the cookies into the glaze, letting the excess drip off.
• return cookies to wire racks and sprinkle with nonpareils. let dry completely.
The Urban Baker / SusanSalzman.com