I am a pushover. I gave in. I caved…we rescued a dog.
Driving to meet the “puppy”, I instinctively knew that we would be coming home with a dog. I was so sure that a dog would become part of our family, that prior to picking up the kids from school, I called my friend, Lisa, and asked to borrow her crate (just in case). One minute after meeting the “puppy” the kids were in love and so was I.
On the drive home we named her Lola Rose. We discussed what she would eat, where she would sleep (in her crate), and who would walk her. Taking care of Lola is not a challenge. My boys, equally take care of her, feed her, walk her, love her, and believe it or not, clean the backyard almost without asking.
Homemade Gluten-Free Dog Biscuits
2 1/2 cups gluten-free oats
1 1/2 cups potato starch
3/4 cup quinoa flour
3 Tbsp. flax seed meal
1 tsp. Celtic sea salt
1 organic egg
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup dry non-fat dry milk powder
1 1/2 cups filtered water
1 small, organic sweet potato, grated
1/2 carrot, grated
• preheat oven to 250*. line 2-3 rimmed baking sheets with parchment.
• put 2 cups of oats in the work bowl of your food processor. pulse to grind into a fine powder.
• in a large bowl, whisk the ground oats, 1/2 cup of remaining oats, potato starch, quinoa flour, flax seed meal, and Celtic sea salt.
• mix in the egg and coconut oil.
• in a glass measuring cup, whisk the water and the milk powder. add to the mixture and mix thoroughly.
• add the grated sweet potato and carrot.
• if the batter is too wet, add more quinoa flour. you want the batter to be able to form into a ball.
• on a floured work surface (I used rice flour), roll out the dough to 3/8″ thick.
• using a desired cookie cutter, create shapes and place on prepared baking sheet.
• bake for 1 1/2 hours – 1 3/4 hours, rotating pans half way between baking time.
• let cool completely.
• store in an airtight container indefinitely.
• share with friends
The Urban Baker / SusanSalzman.com
More Goodies for “Man’s Best Friend”:
Homemade Dog Treats – Life is Better with Cake
Beef + Cheddar Dog Treats – Brown Eyed Baker
Homemade Chicken Treats – My Man’s Belly
Gluten-Free Bacon Flavored Dog Treats – Tidy Mom
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Dog Treats – Jun-Blog
Roasted Squash Peanut Butter Dog Treats – My Kitchen Addiction
Sherry Yard’s Doggy Treats – Eat Show & Tell
Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits – Sweet Peas Kitchen