Friday’s I clean out my fridge. I had about two cups of both cream cheese frosting and butter cream frosting left over from our 4th of July Bake Sale. I knew I could whip up some simple sugar cookies for the buttercream, but I really didn’t have an occasion or a need to make cupcakes. Having a dozen and a half cupcakes for my family to consume was not something I was willing to indulge in.
Rarely do I throw food away, but there are those times that something just cannot be saved. In the past, I have found myself whipping up a soba salad to avoid getting rid of a few cucumbers, almost yucky tomatoes can be turned into fresh, roasted salsa or bacon hash, and zucchini inevitable becomes a cake. Upon cleaning out the fridge, I did in fact have two zucchini’s that needed some attention. The light bulb went off and a chocolate zucchini loaf with cream cheese frosting was born.
This cake was delicious. It will become my go to cake when I need something in a quick pinch. It takes all of 10 minutes(no heavy duty mixer required) to make the batter and doesn’t really call for any ingredients that you cannot find in your pantry. This cake costs approximately $4.65 to make not including the cream cheese frosting. It ended up feeding 3 families (6 adults and 9 kids) at an impromptu, last minute barbecue! About .50 per slice!
Maya Chocolate Zucchini Bread
10 ounces organic white sugar
4 oz. coconut oil
2 large eggs
4 oz.sour cream
7 oz. whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 ounces unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. organic chili powder
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 zucchini’s finely grated zucchini
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
cream cheese frosting
• preheat oven to 350*.
• butter a 5 x 9″ loaf pan and then dust with flour(you may have left over batter – if so, pour into smaller loaf pans). place on a rimmed baking sheet.
• in a large bowl, using a whisk, cream the sugar, coconut oil, sour cream, and vanilla.
• sift the whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and chili powder over the wet ingredients. mix to combine.
• add the grated zucchini and the chopped chocolate.
• pour into prepared bundt pan
• sift together whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. set aside.
• pour into prepared pan and bake 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
• cool completely before removing from the pan.
The Urban Baker / SusanSalzman.com
Related delicious links:
Yeasted Zucchini Chocolate Chip Bread – My Diverse Kitchen
Chocolate Zucchini Cake – The Italian Dish
Vegan Chocolate Banana Zucchini Bread – Anja’s Food 4 Thought
Blueberry Zucchini Bread – My Baking Addiction
Zucchini Bread with Cream Cheese + Sour Cream Frosting – White on Rice Couple