It’s the end of another school year. Next year my kids will be a year older, I will be a year older and life goes on.
This year is no different than any other year, I over did it. I baked and baked and baked until I couldn’t stand any longer, thus, indulged in an hour and half massage. The weeks will go on and in time I will forget about how tight my shoulders are and how swollen my feet were. Next, year at this time, I will forget all about the aches and pains and do it all over again!
I bought these great baking pans at Bed Bath & Beyond. This year, rather than packing in boxes, I wrapped everything up in exactly what I baked in. The presentation, if I do say so myself, was lovely.
2 banana nut loaves
1 cherry almond bars (shown)
48 triple chocolate triangles
8 dozen milk chocolate cookies
4 pounds cashew-almond caramel corn
6 1/2 pounds flour
4 pounds butter
1 1/4 pound brown sugar
5 pounds sugar
2 pounds good chocolate
9 cups fruit
2 pounds nuts
was it worth it? heck yeah!
Cherry Almond Bars
3 cups (18 oz ) cherries
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbls. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. fine salt
zest and juice of one lemon
crust and topping
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 tsp. fine salt
3/4 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
1 tsp. vanilla
• preheat oven to 350*. butter a 9″ square baking pan
• fruit filling: quarter cherries, put in saucepan with sugar, cornstarch, salt, lemon zest, + lemon juice over medium high heat. bring to a boil, boil for 1-2 minutes until thickened
• crust + topping: combine flour, brown sugar, almonds, + salt in the bowl of a food processor
+ pulse. add the butter until crumbly. add the egg and vanilla and pulse until mixture comes together.
• press two-thirds of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan, then pour in the cherry filling. press the remaining crust on top.
• bake 30-35 minutes or until light golden brown and bubbling. cool for 1 hour before cutting.
• the bars will keep at room temperature for 4 days.
The Urban Baker / SusanSalzman.com